It is with great pleasure the Greater Stockton Chamber of Commerce and Central Valley Association of Realtors announce that Benjamin J. Reddish Jr. has been selected as the 67th Stocktonian of the Year. Mr. Reddish will be the first posthumous honoree to receive this award.
On Wednesday, February 10th past Stocktonians of the Year, members of the Stocktonian of the Year Selection Committee and some community members surprised Benjamin’s wife Janie Reddish and son B. Joe Reddish III with the news on a Zoom call. To view the Zoom call please visit: https://youtu.be/m2JuhNk4h48
Benjamin J. Reddish Jr. Passed away at the age of 85 on December 5, 2020. During his life he was well known in the Stockton community for his leadership, volunteerism and service. He was a great civic leader and had a big influence on Stockton’s history.
Benjamin received a Bachelor's Degree in Biology from South Carolina State University and a Master's Degree in Counseling Psychology from the University of the Pacific. Benjamin served in the US Army as a Laboratory Technician. After his service to our country, he returned to Stockton and started his 43 year career with Stockton United School District as a counselor and educator.
During his life Benjamin was very involved with many community organizations. Here is a list of just some of his civic and community activities:
- Esquire Club Inc. of Stockton – Founding Member
- Kiwanis Club of Stockton – Past President
- Kiwanis Key Club – Coach & Mentor
- People to People International – Past President
- Stockton Sister Cities Association – Past President
- Association of Filipino Americans in Education – Board Member/Historian
- University of the Pacific’s Community Involvement Program (CIP)
- Stockton Symphony Association – Board Member
- California School Counseling Association (CSCA) - Past President
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Nu Beta Lambda Chapter – Past President
- Phi Delta Kappa Internation, UOP Chapter – Past President
- Human Rights Action Unit, CPGA – Past President
- Community Involvement Board, University of the Pacific – Past President
- San Joaquin County Historical Society – Board Member
- SUSD Black Employees Association
In 2017 Benjamin was honored with an award from the University of the Pacific Community Involvement Program (CIP) which they named after him, the Benjamin Reddish Community Impact Award. In 2019 Benjamin was honored by the Pacific Alumni Association with the Distinguished Alumni Award for Volunteer Service.
Mr. Reddish was an avid photographer and could be found at many local events, often offering his services for free, photographing and sharing his love of photography and the community.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and gathering restrictions, the banquet to honor Benjamin J. Reddish Jr. is on hold and will be held at a later date to be determined.
For more information and to see a full list of Past Stocktonian’s of the Year please visit: https://stocktonchamber.org/stocktonian/